Tonight we honor those lives who were senselessly cut short simply because they were expressing their authentic selves.
- 58% were known to have the occupation of sex worker*
- 96% of those killed globally were trans women or femmes*
- 89% were People of Color*
- 36% were killed on streets*
- while 24% were killed in their own residences*
- the average age was 30 years old*
- and the youngest was 13 years old*
The majority of these murders are transgender women of color, which intrinsically reflects the intersection of race, gender, and class.
Minnesota NOW stands against all forms of violence. During Transgender Day of Remembrance, MN NOW speaks out against the pervasive violence against transgender and nonbinary individuals. We support individuals to live fully as the gender they identify with, in safe and secure environments.
Thank you for joining us today in honoring these lives.
To read more about those whom we are honoring, please visit https://www.hrc.org/resources/fatal-violence-against-the-transgender-and-gender-non-conforming-community-in-2021
*Data courtesy of https://tgeu.org/tdor/