Minnesota NOW condemns the murder of Daunte Wright, age 20, by former police officer Kim Potter, a 26-year veteran of the force, which occurred on Sunday, April 11, 2021, in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. The negligence to confuse a more heavily weighted metal handgun for a bright yellow taser ended in senseless tragedy that day.
It’s clear to us that Minnesota police have not been able to change their “Us vs Them” philosophy in the time since George Floyd was murdered by police on May 25, 2020, nor since Philandro Castile was murdered by police on July 6, 2016, nor even since Jamar Clark also was murdered by police on November 15, 2015.
- Ending Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Deaths (HF 717, SF 2021)
- Police Professional Liability Insurance (HF 440, SF 815)
- Civilian Oversight Strengthened (HF 640)
- Access to BWC Footage Within 48 Hours (HF 1103, SF 807)
- Ending Police-Only Responses to Mental Health Crisis Calls (HF 1686, SF 1924)
- Qualified Immunity (HF 1104, SF 580)
- Independent Investigatory and Prosecutory Body
- End Prosecution for Reporting Police Misconduct (HF 2201)
- End No Knock Warrants (HF 1762, SF 2139)