Minnesota NOW condemns the pending decision of the US Supreme Court which was leaked on Monday to overturn the Roe v Wade decision that has kept the right to an abortion safe, legal and locally available.
Here is what you need to know:
- It’s still legal to have abortion care in Minnesota.
- This pending decision has not yet been formalized, but is expected to be put in place in late June or early July and will remove protection at the federal level.
- Up to 26 states will be ending or severely limiting the right to have an abortion.
- However, there has been anti-choice legislators working actively to end this right within Minnesota. We need to continue to let our State Representatives know that we expect this right to be protected.
- At the federal level, our Congress has the power to codify Roe v Wade into law. Currently, the Women’s Health Protection Act has passed in the US House of Representatives and is now before the Senate (S.1975), which needs at least 52 votes to pass this vital legislation. Call your Senator today to tell them that you want them to vote in favor of this bill.
The overturning of Roe v Wade by the Supreme Court has far reaching consequences for people seeking abortions and beyond. According to legal experts, it could imperil other freedoms related to privacy, sexuality and family life including birth control and same-sex marriage. The conservative justices on the Supreme Court – – are willing to erase these vital protections that are essential in a democracy – if they overturn Roe.
MN NOW is taking action. Here is what you can do.
- Donate to an organization which is helping people travel from states where rights are being restricted to locations they can access this health service. See the donation links below.
- Volunteer as a clinic escort. You can sign up for training and shifts through Pro-Choice Minnesota or Planned Parenthood.
- Join MN NOW.
- Donate to the MN NOW PAC, 501(c)4 or Foundation to continue the fight for the rights of marginalized communities.
UnRestrict Minnesota has set up a joint donation page so you can donate to 8 Minnesota Organizations at the same time who fight for and financially support people seeking abortions:
Or you can donate to them individually:
Please also consider donating to the Robbinsdale Clinic P.A.
The Robbinsdale Clinic does not have an internet donation option but you can mail your (non tax deductible) checks directly to: 3819 W Broadway Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55422